Apple-Cranberry Upside Down Cake took the, well, the cake! It is especially great topped with whipped cream and even more decadent with a drizzle of some bourbon sauce. Happy baking!
Cake for hundreds at the 2014 KS Wild fundraising dinner.
Apple-Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Recipe adapted from Cooks Illustrated - now an AZ Catering Original Recipe © 2014
Will make 12 large portions (cut 3 x 4) or 15 smaller portions (cut 3 x 5).
12 Tbs. Butter
2 c Brown sugar
3 lb Granny Smith apples
2 Tbs. Lemon juice
1 lb Cranberries
3 c Flour
1 Tbs. Baking powder
1/2 Tbs. Table salt
2 c Sugar
1 c Brown sugar
18 Tbs. Butter, melted
1 ½ c Sour cream
1 Tbs. Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan extremely well
- Prep fruit:
- Halve apples from pole to pole. Remove cores and stems etc. Cut ½ the apples into ¼” thick slices; set aside. Cut remaining apples into ½” thick slices.
- Heat butter in skillet.
- Add ½” thick apples and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times, until apples begin to caramelize, 4-6 minutes. Do NOT fully cook apples.
- Add ¼” slices, brown sugar and lemon juice; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and apples are coated, about 1 minute longer.
- Transfer apple mixture into prepared pan. Press lightly into an even layer along with cranberries.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt); set aside.
- Whisk white and brown sugars together. Add eggs and whisk well, until thick and homogeneous. Slowly whisk in melted butter until combined. Add sour cream and vanilla; whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture to wet and whisk until just combined.
- Pour batter evenly over fruit in pan. This insures the fruit will stay in a layer on the bottom of the pan and not mix into the batter.
- Bake until golden brown, about 30-45 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, or with very few crumbs.
- Cool pan on rack for 20 min. Run paring knife to loosen sides. Invert cake. Let cool 20 min.
- Cut into pieces and serve.